Mechatronics Engineer- Motors
|Job Title:||Mechatronics Engineer- Motors|
|Salary:||Up to £36000 per annum + Negotiable +Benefits package|
|Contact Name:||Emma Smith|
|Job Published:||September 04, 2018 17:00|
Do you have Motors (Stepper, Brushed and Brushless) experience?
An excellent opportunity has arisen to be the technical expert in motors for this world leader in the design of space and aerospace products.
Any industry background will be considered as long as you have experience within stepper/brushed or brushless motor design. You will be working within a complex space mechanisms and motors team who make products for both telecoms spacecraft and science missions.
You join a department of 20+ and a team of 12, including peers, experts and guides - who are all knowledge sharers and passionate about Mechanisms. As a Motors Engineer you will be responsible for the diverse, full lifecycle of the Motor design projects, working alongside different departments (quality, procurement, manufacturing and suppliers).
Which means you will gain knowledge of all aspects of the product including mechanical, electrical, electronics, tribology, materials and robotics.
- Understanding and working to a detailed technical specification
- Perform mechanisms and motor related design, analyses and trade-offs
- Collaborating with specialist analytical departments and test departments (stress, thermal, radiation, electrical, manufacturing, test etc.) to ensure the final analyses and test process satisfies stringent philosophies
- Preparation of reports for management, project and department
- Carry out trade-offs and preliminary concept designs for early phase science studies
- Develop and maintain excellent customer working relationships; including ESA, internal and external
- Support the project responsible engineer during development, qualification and acceptance verification and validation;
- Work closely with the project manager to ensure schedule and budgets are closely adhered to.
- Familiar with the basic motor equations and ohms law and their application to simple motor driven systems
- Familiar with the specification and operation of stepper motor (permanent magnet, hybrid) powered and unpowered static
torque profile and their relevance for intermittently powered systems
- An understanding of the different methods of driving stepper motors (Unipolar, Bi-polar, mini-step, etc.)
- Familiar with the specification, operation and understanding of the speed torque profile of DC brushed motors
- Familiar with open loop drive methods for DC motors
- Knowledge of small gearboxes designed to be directly driven by motors such as mentioned above, in particular what elements
contribute to efficiency and how to demonstrate margins in a motor + gearbox assembly;
- Construction and performance of motors and gearboxes as to be able to influence or make decisions on detail design
elements, noting that these items will likely be designed and manufactured by specialist external manufacturers.
This is a great company to work for with lots of benefits and ongoing career support.
The successful candidate will be subject to security clearance in order to undertake related work in accordance with business needs.
This role will involve some, very occasional, UK and European, travel for business and as such you must be able to travel accordingly.